Location & Activities
The town at the southernmost tip of Africa, with the Cape Agulhas Precinct and Agulhas National Park on it’s doorstep. Within the Cape Agulhas precinct you will find the 2nd oldest working lighthouse in the country and the southernmost tip of Africa where the Indian and Atlantic oceans meet. The working lighthouse houses a museum. Climb the 71 steps to the top of the lighthouse for a spectacular view of the southernmost tip and the town.
Elim 50km from L’Agulhas
The entire Moravian village of Elim is a National Heritage Site and has the rarest fynbos in the world. It is the oldest village in the Strandveld and has the oldest church. All the inhabitants of the village are members of the church, which houses the oldest working clock in the country. Elim has the only slave monument in the country and the largest wooden waterwheel is housed at the Old Mill.
Arniston /Waenhuiskrans - 60km from L’Agulhas
Arniston was named after the HMS Arniston that was wrecked there in 1815. The massive limestone cave is so large that a wagon and 6 oxen can turn in it, hence the 2nd name of the town "Waenhuiskrans". The 200 year old Kassiesbaai village on the cliffs of Arniston, is a national heritage site in its entirety, and is well worth a visit to experience the customs of the locals, who live in these white washed thatched cottages.
Bredasdorp 45km from L’Agulhas
Visit the shipwreck museum and Kapula, the candle making factory. Have lunch at Bredasdorp Square or Adrian’s Bistro at Enviro Wines.
De Mond Nature Reserve – 40km from L’Agulhas
Half way between Struisbaai and Arniston. Take a picnic basket from the local wine boutique and explore the estuary. Walk down to the sea at the mouth of the river, where you will find the longest uninterrupted white sand beach in the southern hemisphere.
Struisbaai 10km from L’Agulhas
Here you will find the quaint fishing harbour with it’s colourful fishing boats, and the longest uninterrupted white sand beach in the southern hemisphere.
Agulhas Icon Sculpture
Visit the latest addition to the world of art at the southern tip of Africa. The Agulhas Icon Sculpture is a unique work of art by prolific South African artist, Strijdom van der Merwe. It invites visitors to linger and admire not only the piece itself, but also the beautiful natural surroundings.
- Struisbaai with its traditional colourful fishing harbour
- The longest uninterrupted white sand beach in the southern hemisphere
- The Shell shop
- South Bound – well worth a visit for arts and crafts, gifts and souvenirs
- Boat based whale watching
- Chartered fishing trips
- Horse riding on the beach.
- De Mond Nature Reserve
- The Moravian missionary village of Elim
- Arniston/Waenhuiskrans with a cave so big that 6 oxen and a wagon can turn in it
- Kassies Baai, the historic fishermans village which is a national monument in it’s entirety
- De Hoop Nature Reserve
- The pont at Malgas on the Breede River and the Bontebok National Park
- Bredasdorp, the shipwreck museum, Kapula candle factory, Julian’s ceramics and restaurant
- Eat at Bredasdorp Square
- Agulhas wine route with lovely farm resturants
On our doorstep
- The southern most tip of Africa, where the Indian and Atlantic oceans meet
- Cape Agulhas Historic Lighthouse and Museum
- Agulhas National Park
- Ancient fish traps and tidal pools for safe swimming
- Local crafts and coffee shop
- Southern Wright Art gallery
- Seagulls restaurant
- L’Agulhas Seafoods
- Zuidste Kaap restaurant
- Shipwreck Wine Boutique
- Fynbos hiking trails
- Whale watching
- Bird watching